Remembering Flight 5966
- On October 19th, 2004, Flight 5966 crashed as it approached Kirksville Airport, killing 13 passengers and critically injuring two.
- Among the fatalities were six Osteopathic physicians and administrators from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM) at A.T. Still University.
- In response to how this tragic event shook the University, KCOM students and staff gathered together the following year to discuss and demonstrate compassion in the Kirksville community.
Kirksville’s Day of Compassion becomes National Celebration
- In 2005, students and staff at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine of A.T. Still University of Health Sciences gathered to hear about compassion, talk about compassion and demonstrate compassion in the Kirksville community.
- Their actions influenced many other osteopathic medical students around the country to hold their own compassion celebrations, which included performing community outreach activities or creating awareness of the osteopathic medical profession.